SmartTopo quality, track logs and VMS app pricing

jamie

27 Dec, 2011 09:24 AM

A few questions and comments re VMS v3:

I'm a bit disappointed in the quality of the SmartTopo maps, as they are missing numerous tracks in several areas I've been to. Tracks that have been there for decades and are on the CMA 1:25000 maps of NSW. I had thought that the SmartTopo maps would contain an equivalent amount of detail to other 1:25000 maps.

I had also assumed that even if the tracks weren't on the map, that I would be able to 'create' tracks using the track log feature. However, when using the SmartTopo maps and I drive off a track that is displayed on the map (ie into an area with no tracks), the track log also stops. Should this be happening, am I doing something wrong or is it a bug in the app? Surely there must be a way to display my current or saved tracklog over a map, even when there is no track shown on the map itself?

Lastly, I bought the app for $199 when version 3 was released, but have noticed that the price was reduced to $149 a few weeks later. Will you be providing any refunds/credits to those who paid $199, or are we stuck with it?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Li Xia on 28 Dec, 2011 07:36 AM

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

We understand your concerns about SmartTOPO Australia, however comparing it to the LPMA (which we assume is the same as CMA) 1:25k topo maps is like comparing Apples to Oranges. For example, the LPMA maps are created for the SES and government use with a heavy emphysis on fire trails and off road vehicle tracks. SmartTOPO data is from NAVTEQ which includes some of HEMA's off road data which focuses on touring.

We consider the LPMA maps as the most complete and detailed topo maps available on the market and that's why we sell it through our online map shop. Since we recognise that not 1 map is "best" everywhere, our app was designed to support add on maps, such as the LMPA maps. They are available from our online store as single map sheets for $3.99 or as a bundle of 1,095 maps for just $149.99.

For most users, what comes bundled in the VMS app will adequate, however, if you are looking for maps that are more suitable to your needs, it's nice to know they are available and compatible.

Another thing is that the LPMA NSW topo maps retail for $249 on DVD (we've discounted them to just $149 for our apps). The entire VMS app retails for $199 and includes the app, SmartTOPO, iTOPO and Gregory's maps. We believe that the VMS app provides excellent value at it's price point.

Lastly, we sometimes put the app on special to celebrate special occasions such as the 1st birthday sale and Xmas sale. We don't provide a price match on purchases from outside of these periods.

you are not comparing Apples to Apples. We've never advertised or lead anyone to believe that SmartTOPO has the same information compared to other maps.

2. Li Xia closed this discussion on 28 Dec, 2011 07:36 AM.

3. jamie re-opened this discussion on 28 Dec, 2011 09:52 AM

4. 2 Posted by jamie on 28 Dec, 2011 09:52 AM

Tom,

LPMA used to be called CMA, I'm just used to referring to them that way. I think some better explanation is required on the quality of the SmartTopo maps. You do say on your site "Bundled with the 3rd Version of the VMS app is SmartTOPO™, the highest resolution topographic map ever created for 4WDing". To me, that certainly indicates that they should contain as much detail (at least in regards to 4WD tracks) as the LPMA maps. I don't know how it could be interpreted any other way. I do appreciate that additional maps can be purchased, but I think you need to better explain the limitations of the SmartTopo maps when compared to 1:25000 maps that people would be used to viewing. That's all most people can compare them to.

You didn't answer the second part of my post, in relation to tracklogs once you move off the tracks marked on the SmartTopo maps. Could you please answer this.

Fair enough with the pricing.

Cheers,
    Jamie

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Li Xia on 01 Jan, 2012 01:20 AM

Great feedback, we'll amend the description for SmartTOPO on the next release.

Sorry about that. To provide directions, the app has a "lock to road network" feature where it will try to keep you position on the road if there is one near. This can effect the tracklog. So if you are not near any roads, we recommend to switch over to "GPS position" mode, where it will display your actual location.

To do so, just tap on your location arrow. You'll see a label pop up indicating which mode you are in.

6. Li Xia closed this discussion on 01 Jan, 2012 01:20 AM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Mud Map please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

16 Sep, 2019 03:40 AM
09 Sep, 2019 09:35 AM
09 Sep, 2019 09:33 AM