Quality of 1:25k maps

bscando

12 Aug, 2011 04:22 AM

There is a feedback item in the iTunes store that says the maps for v3 does not show the main walking tracks. Is this true? Also you say that buying V3 gives me all of Australia as 1:25k. Is that really true? I was not aware that all of Australia was mapped that way. Sunmap in Queensland will tell me that only about 15% has been mapped to 1:25K. Is there something that I am missing here?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Li Xia on 12 Aug, 2011 06:28 AM

That's not true. SmartTOPO has majority of the walking tracks in Australia.

The reason V3 was a massive upgrade is because we added SmartTOPO which is a 1:25k scale topo map with Australia wide coverage.

Australia has been mapped to this detail, but the data is only available in vector format. The maps you are describing are raster maps which as images. It's not possible to map australia using raster maps since the file size would be in the 300-400GB range. Vector maps are much more efficient because it's not an image, it's pure data. Our app reads this data and draws map image to the screen on the fly. SmartTOPO including 10m elevation contours is there for only 350mb in size.

There is a draw back with Vector maps. They don't visually look the same as a paper map. Only raster maps have that ability since the map is just a image (or scan) of the paper map version. MUD MAP supports both vector (SmartTOPO) and raster map formats. V3 comes bundled with SmartTOPO, but there is flexibility to add raster maps from different publishers. These raster maps can be purchased from our Store So with MUD MAP, you get the best of both worlds.

Does that answer your question?

2. Li Xia closed this discussion on 12 Aug, 2011 06:28 AM.

3. bscando re-opened this discussion on 12 Aug, 2011 06:52 AM

4. 2 Posted by bscando on 12 Aug, 2011 06:52 AM

Yes if does. Thanks Tom
    >

5. Li Xia closed this discussion on 12 Aug, 2011 07:31 AM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Mud Map please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

13 Jun, 2019 06:58 AM
11 Jun, 2019 11:47 PM
07 Jun, 2019 06:05 AM