Ipad

thewayes

08 Jun, 2012 02:09 AM

I want a gps for off road anywhere in Australia and i am looking at the Ipad but I don't know if it will be up to the task so after looking on your web site Im asking the qustion will it do the job or do i need to buy a Hema gps. I was thinking of the ipad so i could do some web browsing as well.

Regards
Geoff

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Li Xia on 13 Jun, 2012 11:40 AM

Hi Geoff, thanks for getting in touch with us.

The iPad has much better reliability and build quality compared to most consumer GPS devices on the market. It's also flash based, there are no moving parts which is a bonus for in vibration heavy environments. What's your concern in using it as a off road GPS?

2. 2 Posted by hollnrta on 14 Jun, 2012 12:48 AM

It is brilliant to use as a GPS on an iPad. We used it continually during our trip from Adelaide to Geraldton, WA last Christmas holidays. We were even able to use it along the Transcontinental railway line . It allows you to put in Waypoints, which we primarily used to mark good camping spots along the way for future use. Love Mud MapsI!
    I have a twelve month, 3G pre-paid tablet mobile, internet account (which has just gone up $30, but still good value depending on how often you use it). So, wherever there is phone coverage you will have access to the internet. On top of all that, use your iPad for your photos, books, games and music. Love the iPad!

Regards,
    Theresia

3. 3 Posted by thewayes on 14 Jun, 2012 02:51 AM

Thanks guys i just wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing and getting the Ipad as a gps and for general web surfing

Geoff

4. 4 Posted by thewayes on 14 Jun, 2012 02:56 AM

I just wanted to make sure it was a very good off road gps before i outlaid money for it.

Geoff

5. 5 Posted by thewayes on 14 Jun, 2012 02:57 AM

Thank you very much it sounds like the way to go.

Geoff

6. 6 Posted by thewayes on 14 Jun, 2012 02:58 AM

What size do you have Theresia in the ipad 16,32,64Gb

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Li Xia on 14 Jun, 2012 07:53 AM

iPad + Mud Map HD = fantastic off road GPS. As most of our users agree, it is just so much better and more flexible compared with a dedicated GPS.

8. 8 Posted by thewayes on 16 Jun, 2012 10:40 PM

Thanks Tom

9. 9 Posted by ucdailoi on 17 Jun, 2012 04:56 AM

I have the IPad 3 with WIFI only.

I am in the process of shopping for a GPS to hook up to the IPad either by bluetooth or direct connection.

From what I can see the IPad will work well as a GPS using the attached equipment.

Will your maps work on the described configuration?

10. 10 Posted by hollnrta on 17 Jun, 2012 07:03 AM

As far as I can tell, with the MUD Maps installed on the iPad, it will work as a GPS regardless of whether you have internet connection. We have used the maps in some pretty remote locations and they have been spot on (there is this little blue arrow that shows you exactly where you are) and you can record waypoints as you go.
    We use a 12V-240V inverter in the vehicle to charge the iPad and have attached a platform to the dash of our Nissan which holds the iPad. So no more paper maps for me!

Theresia

11. 11 Posted by ucdailoi on 17 Jun, 2012 08:21 AM

Thank you

12. 12 Posted by thewayes on 17 Jun, 2012 09:58 PM

What size memory Thersia is it 16,32 or the 64gb.

Regards
    Geoff

13. 13 Posted by thewayes on 17 Jun, 2012 10:04 PM

Thanks Tom what size do I need 16,32 or 64 I don't plan to hold alot of photo's just maps and some photo's and stuff like that.

Regards
    Geoff

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Li Xia on 18 Jun, 2012 02:29 AM

Our users have reported good success with the Bad Elf External GPS receivers & iPad wifi only models. A number of them have written in saying our apps work great with that receiver.

15. thewayes closed this discussion on 03 Jul, 2012 06:05 AM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Mud Map please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

16 Sep, 2019 03:40 AM
09 Sep, 2019 09:35 AM
09 Sep, 2019 09:33 AM