Is sim card needed with new ipad 4G for navigation

gjkeating

18 Jun, 2012 04:30 AM

Hi,

Just have a question that the apple store person seemed a bit unsure of and thought that you guys would know the answer.

I am buying a new ipad and one of the main reasons is for 4wd mapping and I'll be using your app for this purpose.

I know that you need to buy the ipad with the 4g (or should I say 3G) to get an ipad with inbuilt GPS but my question is do I need to have a sim card in the ipad to activate the GPS or for the GPS to use to make it work. The answer I got back from the apple person was that the GPS would be more accurate with a sim card as it uses the mobile towers as well as the GPS to plot your position.

Any thoughts on if this is true and whether u need a sim card for your app and whether it is more accurate with a SIM. Just if I need a SIM card I will get one on a plan from Telstra but if it doesnt make a difference I will just buy one outright without a SIM.

Many Thanks

Gary

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Li Xia on 19 Jun, 2012 04:03 AM

Hi Gary, thanks for getting in touch with us.

Definitely get the Cellular (i.e. 3G/4G) model, they have the built in GPS.

Most map apps download maps as needed from the internet. Mud Map HD is different, the maps are stored on the device so they can be accessed anytime, therefor you don't need a sim card or internet for our app to work properly.

If you have other questions, just give me a shout any time.

2. 2 Posted by gjkeating on 19 Jun, 2012 06:43 AM

Thanks Tom.

It sounded funny that they were saying that the ipad used both GPS and mobile towers to get location.

Regards

Gary

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Li Xia on 19 Jun, 2012 07:58 AM

My Pleasure. Just a note, make sure you get the iPad optimized version of our app Mud Map HD. It takes advantage of the large ipad screen and comes with a bunch of awesome 4WD maps too.

If you have other questions, just give me a shout any time.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Mud Map please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

16 Sep, 2019 03:40 AM
09 Sep, 2019 09:35 AM
09 Sep, 2019 09:33 AM