Direction Arrow Calibration option needed

Simon

15 Nov, 2017 09:00 AM

Hi.

Using an iPad for navigation, and when you come up to areas with multiple options, the directional arrow isn't always correct.

The reason is the iPad is on an angle in the car. What's needed is a "direction offset' option where you can put the device "square on" in the car, press a button, then move the device to it's normal location and press the button again. This offset is then calculated and used for direction adjustment, and would still work if the unit was twisted to face the passenger and then back to the driver.

BTW - This I believe is similar to the request here, but I don't think they understand why it's happening. Their Hema is locked "square on" so will always be right.
http://kb.mud-maps.com/help/discussions/suggestions/781-imprecise-vehicle-location-on-directional-arrow

Thanks,
Simon.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Li Xia on 16 Nov, 2017 09:48 AM

Hi Simon, iOS has a built in calibration tool. Mud Map reads the direction data from iOS so getting it right in the OS will mean getting it right in Mud Map.

2. 2 Posted by Simon Beach on 16 Nov, 2017 10:10 PM

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

The issue isn't the calibration of the iOS device as it's ok.

The issue is when it's mounted in the car, it's on an angle, therefore what it's showing on the map and iOS is technically correct, but incorrect when considering its placement in the car versus the car direction.

Ie, when approaching an intersection with multiple splits, I have to straighten the iPad in the car to figure out which one to take. Also you can tell while driving the direction arrow is out to where I'm actually headed. In my case around 15 degrees odd.

What it needs is almost a "mounted in car" option that knows it's offset, and than can be turned off easily when unmounted so that when I take it out at camp it's correct still.
    It'd be cool if it could figure that out itself of course, but that may be harder and lead to incorrect assumptions.

Easiest would be an item in the menu with a switch that is quick to turn on and off, with maybe a small on screen icon in mapping to show what mode it's in as a reminder.

Hope that explains it better.

It also made me realise why Hema and VMS only provide windscreen mounts that do not angle for the driver, but are always straight on.....

Regards,
    Simon.

Sent from my iPad

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Li Xia on 20 Nov, 2017 08:46 AM

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm on the same page now.

4. 4 Posted by simon on 20 Nov, 2017 09:29 AM

Software Systems Analyst for business applications. 

Sent from my mobile.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Li Xia on 21 Nov, 2017 07:30 AM

I see. Your emails standout from ones from tradies :D

6. 6 Posted by Simon on 21 Nov, 2017 07:39 AM

Thanks.

Kinda glad to hear that ;-)

BTW - Love what you've built.
    Unfortunately for you that probably means I'll also suggest things too ..... :-o

Cheers.
    Simon.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Li Xia on 21 Nov, 2017 07:44 AM

Thanks, that means a lot.

Feedback is great, when it's constructive. Most of the time, I just get "it doesn't work".

8. 8 Posted by simon on 21 Nov, 2017 08:36 AM

Yep, and usually no other info about how to replicate either....
    I feel your pain.

Get Outlook for iOS

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Li Xia on 23 Nov, 2017 09:19 AM

Spot on.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Mud Map please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

14 Dec, 2017 01:47 AM
13 Dec, 2017 08:24 AM
13 Dec, 2017 05:10 AM